Hello religious education family and friends,
I almost can’t believe it’s April already! I hope were all finding opportunities to gaze at green sprouts peeping out of the dirt, and to admire the slowly budding lime green edges to the trees before the snow hid the evidence this weekend.
There is a lot of new news to share, so here we go!
In this post:
- Families Tuugether- Saturday, April 9th
- 7-8th grade OWL- Parent Forum April 10th
- Family movie night- April 23rd at 4:30 pm
- Fair Trade Coffee/Tea Sale- Attn: 5th-8th graders! May 1st
- This months worship theme is Compassion
- Save the dates:
- Mother’s day hanging flower plant sale! During both services, May 8th
- Beach Clean-up: May 14th
- Bridging (High School graduating seniors): June 5th at 10am
- South Church Yard sale in Early JUNE! Save stuff!
Open to children 8 months through Sixth grade, Families Tuugether is a popular program for families of young kids; an opportunity for parents to reconnect and to recharge. Offered monthly during the church year starting in October, children are dropped off at South Church at 4:30pm with a potluck dish to share (Ready to serve, please.), and parents head up to the sanctuary for a short group gathering before heading out to enjoy some quite time. Children will strengthen friendships, enjoy a movie, and play fun games. Parents return to get their child no later than 8pm. Please note: Families MUST RSVP if they plan to come to this event, so that we are able to meet the staffing needs. Program is be closed after 25 children register, to ensure we have a safe and fun event.
Our Worship Theme for April is Compassion: As parents and adults working with children and youth, this is a rich topic. Teaching compassion to children is “an ongoing dialogue in which you regularly engage your children with discussions and experiences related to compassion. You can search for examples of compassion—or its opposites, indifference and hatred—in various forms of media, for example, newspapers, magazines, and the Web will offer daily examples of compassion.” credit: Psychologytoday.com
In terms of our faith, compassion is fundamental. Unitarian Universalists describe ourselves as brave, curious, and compassionate thinkers and doers. Here’s a great article offered in UU World a few years back, that provides a few ideas for teaching compassion to our kids: Raising children who value justice and compassion
- Mother’s day hanging flower plant sale! During both services, May 8th, we’ll be selling hanging flower pots from Wentworth gardens as a fundraiser for out youth service trip. They are beautiful, so bring your check books! $25/each
- Beach Clean-up: Saturday, May 14th- this event is a collaborative project of our Fellowship Associates and the Religious Education Council, and will be a wonderful day outside helping our community and supporting the work of the Blue Ocean Society.
- Bridging (High School graduating seniors): June 5th at 10am- This is our first Summer schedule service and one that is sure to bring some misty tears as we celebrate another wave of graduates bridging into the welcoming arms of our young adult congregants.
- South Church Yard Sale! Our youth group will be hosting a yard sale in early June to finish up fundraising for their service learning trip to Appalachia. If you find yourself with thrift store donations/sell-able goods, please hold on to it for us! We can take collections this early, but we’ll need donations and customers come June!!