Hello religious education family and friends,
It sure has been a busy 2016 so far! There was a lot of great stuff happening this past month at South Church, including some really lovely inter-generational connections. Thank you to everyone who helped make it all happen! Especially our F.A’s who organized a fantastic game night!!
In this post:
- Heads up: February Vacation…
- Sparks and Purple Flames- This Friday, February 5th
- Fair Trade Coffee/Tea Sale- Attn: 5th-8th graders! Feb 7
- Children’s Chapel- Sunday February 7th
- Senior Youth Appalachia group potluck- Feb 7th
- Junior Youth field trips 2/7 and 2/14
- Families Tuugether- Saturday, February 13th
- Pancake Breakfast- Palm Sunday, March 20th
- Social Justice opportunities for families in February
- Save the date: South Church Yard sale in Early JUNE!
Heads UP: February Vacation- Navigating vacation weeks at Church is always tricky. Many of our volunteer teachers are off on adventures, and our student attendance is spotty too. This month, I’m adding to the challenge, by taking my own kids on a once-in-a-lifetime adventure to Indonesia! This is a much needed opportunity for us, but it means things here at church need to run without me for the second half of the month. Can you Volunteer? We need some help with all ages classes on 2/21 and 2/28 at 9am and 11am. If you would prefer not to volunteer, but are going to be around for either Sunday, and would be willing to be “on call” for Cat Lyons, Please let me know that as well. I’d like to have some extra folks lined up in case of illness so that Cat is well supported. Sign up here if you’re willing to help out! http://southchurchportsmouth.bringit.bz/public/11b674
Sparks and Purple Flames Social groups- February 5th 7-9pm. This month, Sparks (5th-6th grade) are meeting at Bowl O’Rama in Portsmouth. Purple Flames (7th-8th grade) will be meeting at Indoor Ascent in Dover. RSVP required! Parents should park and walk their child inside. There is a waiver required for Indoor Ascent which you can find on their website.
For those youth who have committed to this year’s service learning trip to War, West Virginia. We will be holding our second planning meeting at 5:30 this Sunday. Parents do not need to attend this gathering. Check your inbox for an email with more information.
Open to children 8 months through Sixth grade, Families Tuugether is a popular program for families of young kids; an opportunity for parents to reconnect and to recharge. Offered monthly during the church year starting in October, children are dropped off at South Church at 4:30pm with a potluck dish to share (Ready to serve, please.), and parents head up to the sanctuary for a short group gathering before heading out to enjoy some quite time. Children will strengthen friendships, enjoy a movie, and play fun games. Parents return to get their child no later than 8pm. Please note: Families MUST RSVP if they plan to come to this event, so that we are able to meet the staffing needs. Program is be closed after 25 children register, to ensure we have a safe and fun event.
Family Social Justice Opportunities in February:
- Seacoast Family Promise Sign up: South Church will once again be hosting families experiencing homelessness in our church during the week of February 28th to March 6th. This is a wonderful and fulfilling opportunity for our South Church community to get involved in this amazing program. Volunteers help by cooking/and or serving dinner or by staying overnight with the families. For more information contact the SFP Volunteer Coordination Team at: email@example.com, Or stop by the SFP table downstairs after the services on January 31st, February 7th and 14th.
- 6pm at the Music Hall Loft- as part of the Innovation & Leadership series. Participate in a conversation about poverty in our community, ways to bring greater awareness to what’s being done, and what more there is to do. Let’s talk about poverty, then let’s do something about it. The event is free, but space is limited; an RSVP is recommended.