Hello! What a full and wonderful October we have shared together! Big thanks to everyone who joined us for the Halloween social and help to support our High School youth group, they raised about $300 for their end of year service learning trip!
In this post:
- Families Tuugether this Saturday from 4:30-8pm (rsvp required- read more below)
- Senior Youth upcoming events (H.S. parents: please read below)
- Volunteers Needed! please:
- Sign up for NOVEMBER workshops <click for info! We need you!
- Sign up for DECEMBER workshops <click for info! We need you!
- Sundays this month:
- November 12th: Normal* RE program day. (see below)
- November 19th: Normal* RE program day. (see below)
- November 26: Wholly family service with Special RE guest program! (no Coming of Age, Owl, or Senior youth)
- December 3: Children’s Chapel and theme talk
[*Normal RE program day: Both services include Spirit Play and Theme workshops for grades 1-5. 11am worship also included: 6-7th grade religious exploration and Coming of Age for 8th grade. OWL for 5th grade is currently meeting at 9:30 most Sundays. OWL for 7th grade and Senior Youth meet on Sunday evenings at 4-5:30 pm.]
- Family resources for November’s theme: A people of Abundance- see below!
(If you haven’t already, please REGISTER for the 2017-18 church year!)
Here are some more details on the items mentioned above:
Families Tuugether, Saturday, November 11th, 4:30-8pm Open to children 8 months through Sixth grade, Families Tuugether is a popular program for families of young kids; an opportunity for parents to reconnect and to recharge. Offered monthly during the church year, children are dropped off at South Church at 4:30pm with a potluck dish to share (Ready to serve, please.), and parents head up to the sanctuary for a short group gathering before heading out to enjoy some quite time. Children will strengthen friendships, enjoy a movie, and play fun games. Parents return to get their child no later than 8pm. Please note: Families MUST RSVP(email@example.com) if they plan to come to this event, so that we are able to meet the staffing needs. Program is be closed after 25 children register, to ensure we have a safe and fun event.
Senior Youth Families:
- November 11: 4 youth are needed to help supervise younger church kids from 4:15 – 8:30, this will count toward fundraising hours
- November 12: Youth will be meeting at the Urban Forestry Center in Portsmouth (35 Elwyn Rd) from 2pm to 4:30
- November 17-18 Youth Overnight service trip- RSVP due by Nov. 12!
Family resources for November: ‘We are a community of abundance’ . One of the wonderful things about theme based church is that there are multiple opportunities for parents and children to explore a specific idea throughout each month. This means there are also lots of opportunities for ideas and inspirations we come across on Sundays at South Church to find their way into our lives throughout the week. This could be very meaningful for your family and for our community. As we explore themes throughout the year think about ways you might take those conversations home to your dinner tables, night time rituals, car drives, and morning routines. Here’s a small framework to whet your palate, let me know if you have any great family moments!
[From Soul Matters RE Packet:] Playing off our monthly theme question of “What does it mean to be a people of abundance?”, we invite parents to ask “What does it mean to be a parent of abundance” or “What does it mean to be a family of abundance?”
Families Share: From Tapestry of Faith~ Signs of Our Faith: http://www.uua.org/re/tapestry/children/signs/session7/287776.shtml (Family activities based on building a sharing ethic.)
Families Explore Rituals at Meal times: From Tapestry of Faith; Creating Home; Bless this Meal: http://www.uua.org/re/tapestry/children/home/session11/58708.shtml
Theme Related articles:
- The Opposite of Spoiled; Raising Kids Who are Grounded, Generous, and Smart About Money, By Ron Lieber, NYT Personal Finance Columnist http://ronlieber.com/books/the-opposite-of-spoiled/ (Countering the materialistic and “scarcity” messages of our culture.)
- Unplug the Christmas Machine: A Complete Guide to Putting Love and Joy Back into the Season, by Jo Robinson (Author), Jean C. Staeheli (Author) https://www.amazon.com/Unplug-Christmas-Machine-Complete-Putting/dp/0688109616 (A guide to reducing the commercialism of the upcoming winter holidays.)
And, Check out this Pinterest page on Abundance- Images and links to the books, videos, activities and more: https://www.pinterest.com/soulmattersre/2017-abundance/
Our monthly church-wide themes this year:
A community of…