Hello to our Religious Education family and friends,
I am in my office gearing up for our annual trip north with the Senior youth to help make holiday wreaths at H.O.M.E inc, in Orland, ME. It is always such a wonderful trip, and never without a few good stories, so look for us on Sunday to hear how it went!
In this post:
- Holiday Celebration!! Dec. 4th
- Fair Trade Coffee/Tea Sale- Attn: 5th-8th graders! Dec 6
- Farm animal costumes needed
- Senior Youth Appalachia group potluck- Dec 13
- December is quirky! Here’s how it looks…
- First Night Chili Sale
- Families Tuugether- January 9th
- Social Justice opportunities for families in December
Holiday Celebration Potluck-Friday, December 4th, 5:30-8:00 pm
Join us at this lovely, traditional, Multi-generational kick-off to the winter holiday season! All are invited to celebrate the holiday season, sing a few carols, and enjoy great company. There will be a children’s activity room, and a shared meal for all. Please bring a dish that represents your history and heritage for the potluck. Potluck sign-ups will take place during coffee hour in late November, and online. For more information contact the office: email@example.com
Organized in collaboration by our Fellowship Associates and Religious Education Council.
Potluck~ Sign up: http://southchurchportsmouth.bringit.bz/public/9272c2
Party help~ Sign up: http://southchurchportsmouth.bringit.bz/public/70efeb
Fair Trade Coffee/Tea Sale- Attn: 5th-8th graders! Sunday, November 1st to help support Sustainable Harvest international and the UUSC by purchasing coffee, tea, and Chocolate from our Fair trade sale! Run by our 5th-8th grade youth, and recurring every first Sunday during both social hours. If your 5th-8th grader can help, please sign them up here:
Farm animal costumes needed: If your family has any farm animal costumes you are willing to donate, or wish to make a costume for our annual pageant, we’d love to add to our our menagerie! We have plenty of sheep, but could use cows, donkeys, goats, horses, a llama… you get the idea. Please let me know if you’ve got something or are planning to make something in time for the 20th.
Senior Youth Service Learning- Appalachia Potluck: Dec 13th at 5:30
For those families who have committed to this year’s service learning trip to War, West Virginia. We will be holding our first planning meeting on Dec. 13th immediately following youth group. Parents are asked to be present for this gathering. I will be reaching out with more details soon.
Sparks and Purple Flames Social groups- are invited to the holiday celebration this month! Hope to see you all there- bring your families 🙂
December is Quirky, here’s how it looks:
- 6th: Wholly Family (Multi-generational service in sanctuary). Children ages 4 and up are invited to remain in worship for the entire service. Nursery is open for babies through 3 years old starting at 8:45am. No Junior youth (7-8th grade) or Senior youth group today.
- 13th: RE classes meet following the story for all ages. Junior youth meet in Karnan house at 11am. Senior youth meet in Karnan House from 4-5:30 pm. Nursery is open for babies through 3 years old starting at 8:45am
- 20th: Holiday Pageant (Multi-generational service in sanctuary). Nursery is open for babies through 3 years old starting at 8:45am. No Junior youth (7-8th grade)today. Senior youth will meet at 4-5:30 pm.
- 28th: All ages program for holiday with Special Guest! Nursery is open for babies through 3 year olds starting at 8:45am. Children age 4 through 6th grade, head downstairs following the story for all ages in the sanctuary. No Junior youth (7-8th grade) or Senior youth group today.
First Night Chili Sale at South Church! New Year’s Eve from 5:00–9:00pm: Swing by the church on New Year’s Eve while you explore First Night in Portsmouth. We will have a delicious assortment of chili, and all proceeds support the youth service fund, allowing our high school youth to travel to War, W.V. in June for a service learning and justice trip. To volunteer or to make a batch of chili, contact Cat Lyons: firstname.lastname@example.org
Families Tuugether- January 9th- 4:30-8pm
(No Families Tuugether in December, sorry!) Open to children 8 months through Sixth grade, Families Tuugether is a popular program for families of young kids; an opportunity for parents to reconnect and to recharge. Offered monthly during the church year starting in October, children are dropped off at South Church at 4:30pm with a potluck dish to share (Ready to serve, please.), and parents head up to the sanctuary for a short group gathering before heading out to enjoy some quite time. Children will strengthen friendships, enjoy a movie, and play fun games. Parents return to get their child no later than 8pm. Please note: Families MUST RSVP if they plan to come to this event, so that we are able to meet the staffing needs. Program is be closed after 25 children register, to ensure we have a safe and fun event.
Family Social Justice Opportunities in December:
- Walk and Vigil to commemorate victims of gun violence: Join us for the NH Chapter of Moms Demand Action for Gun Sense in America “Orange Walk ” and Vigil to commemorate the third anniversary of the Sandy Hook tragedy and to honor all victims and survivors of gun violence. Sunday, December 13th, 12:00pm to 1:30pm. Our walk will start at the steps of South Church and end with a Vigil at Prescott Park. Wear orange if possible.
- Giving Garland, November 22nd to December 13th: Once again this year, we’ll make an offering of gift cards to local non-profits that serve the Seacoast. The recipients of your gifts this year will be the Dover Children’s Home, Families First Health and Support Center and York Community Action. Please purchase Gift cards from gas stations, grocery and clothing stores, bowling alleys and movie theaters. Please come and clip them on the garland located in the office. For more information contact Jennifer at email@example.com. Thank you for your generosity.
- Guest At Your Table: The end of November marks the beginning of the Unitarian Universalist Service Committee membership drive. The UUSC is a leading voice for human rights and social justice around the world. Become a member! Use one of the envelopes found in your pew or at the UUSC table downstairs. Make this a family event by taking a Guest at Your Table Box home, fill it with loose change, convert this to a check and turn the box in at the church. Help support this worthwhile organization. Contact John or Irene Bush at firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com.
- Black Lives Matter vigil at Market Square in Portsmouth on December 22nd from 5:30-6:30 pm. https://www.facebook.com/events/425787320947694/