I hope this newsletter finds you in joyful spirit, embracing the arrival of autumn air and falling leaves. I can feel the approach of warm soups, cozy nights, and maybe some good books!
In this post:
- Children’s Chapel/Worship this Sunday~ Day of the Dead.
- Halloween Social- Join us on the front lawn to watch the parade! 7-8 pm
- Fair Trade Coffee/Tea Sale- Attn: 5th-8th graders!
- Senior Youth Service Learning- Appalachia commitments due!
- Sparks and Purple Flames Social groups- Nov. 6
- Family Social Justice Opportunities:
- Senior Youth: Collecting Food, Coats, and Blankets for H.O.M.E!
- Moms Demand Action for gun sense in America- Speaker 11/15
- Families Tuugether- November 14th
- OWL (Sexuality Education) 5th grade mandatory parent orientation.
Children’s Chapel/Worship this Sunday~ Day of the Dead : As you may know, this coming Sunday we will be having a Special Day of the Dead service with Rev. Lauren. Bring photographs/mementos of ancestors and loved ones who have died for the traditional Mexican altar. Our children will be able to experience some of this worship in the sanctuary. Following the story for all ages, children in 6th grade and below will head downstairs. Our Preschool-Kindergarten spirit play classroom will gather, and 1st-6th grade students will gather together for our monthly Children’s Chapel. Remember to give your child a small donation for our collection during Children’s chapel (.50c-$1) as this is a part of our gathering. I am still looking for volunteers to assist with Children’s chapel- Please click here if you are interested in helping with this sweet practice: http://southchurchportsmouth.bringit.bz/public/d14852
Halloween Social- Join us on the front lawn to watch the parade! October 31st, 7-8 pm; As you may know, Portsmouth takes Halloween pretty seriously. We’re hoping you will join many other South Church folks on the front lawn to watch the parade go by! This is a great chance to catch up, meet some new friends, and even enjoy some hot cocoa! Our senior youth will be offering hot refreshments and baked goods during the annual parade to raise funds for their service learning trip to Appalachia.
Fair Trade Coffee/Tea Sale- Attn: 5th-8th graders! Sunday, November 1st to help support Sustainable Harvest international and the UUSC by purchasing coffee, tea, and Chocolate from our Fair trade sale! Run by our 5th-8th grade youth, and recurring every first Sunday during both social hours.
Senior Youth Service Learning- Appalachia commitments due 11/1!
Thank you for everyone who was able to join us for the informational gathering last week! It is time to jump in to this adventure if you are able. We need to know numbers so we can begin to pin down travel details and such. If you need a commitment form, email me and I’ll send it along (or pick one up on Sunday!)
Sparks and Purple Flames Social groups- Nov. 6 from 7-9pm. The 5th-6th grade Sparks group will be meeting at South Church for a movie night. 7th-8th grade Purple Flames will be bowling this month at Bowl O’Rama in Portsmouth. Please RSVP if your child is planning to attend.
Family Social Justice Opportunities:
- Senior Youth: Collecting Food, Coats, and Blankets for H.O.M.E! Collection bins are in the social hall, and collections will be accepted from now through November 21st, when our youth head up to Orland, ME to volunteer at the H.O.M.E site.
- Moms Demand Action for gun sense in America- Speaker 11/15 The Social Justice Associates will be hosting an informational meeting on Gun Violence Prevention. All South Church Members, families, and friends are welcome. Sunday, November 15th, 12:30-1:30 in the Parish Hall.
Speaker: Deb Howard
Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.
Families Tuugether- November 14th- 4:30-8pm
Open to children 8 months through Sixth grade, Families Tuugether is a popular program for families of young kids; an opportunity for parents to reconnect and to recharge. Offered monthly during the church year starting in October, children are dropped off at South Church at 4:30pm with a potluck dish to share (Ready to serve, please.), and parents head up to the sanctuary for a short group gathering before heading out to enjoy some quite time. Children will strengthen friendships, enjoy a movie, and play fun games. Parents return to get their child no later than 8pm. Please note: Families MUST RSVP if they plan to come to this event, so that we are able to meet the staffing needs. Program is be closed after 25 children register, to ensure we have a safe and fun event.
OWL (Sexuality Education) 5th grade mandatory parent orientation: There is a mandatory parent orientation for our 5th grade OWL program on November 1st from 12:30-2pm at South Church. In the case of divorced parents, both parents should plan to attend. Please contact me if this is an issue. The 5th grade OWL program is 8 weeks long and will begin on November 8th.