Big Creek People in Action- War, West Virginia: check out this interactive web documentary about the history of McDowell County… (you’ll notice quotes and clips of Marsha Timpson, we’ll be meeting her soon!)
“The Amazing Marsha Timpson,” an article about the woman who started Big Creek People in Action, the organization we will work with in West Virginia:
June 26-July 2nd, 2022
Trip Commitments were due by January 9th, 2022 along with a deposit of $200, the remaining balance of cost to Families ($300) due on or before June 19th. (Total cost to families: $500)
*If the individual financial commitment for this journey is prohibitive for anyone who wants to participate, we have scholarship funds available to cover some or all of the cost.
**COVID: continues to be an unpredictable part of this program year, and all plans may change. I will notify families of moments where we may begin to commit funds that we wont be able to get back.
Mandatory learning sessions for participating families (if you can’t make it, please contact Jen Del Deo or Kirsten Hunter)
- November 7th, 2021 Session 1– Youth and Parents
- Click here to review our First Learning session from November 7th, 2021
- January 9th, 2022 Session 2– Youth and Parents
- Click here to review our Second Learning session January 9th, 2022
- March 13th, 2022 Session 3– Youth only
- Click here to review our Third Learning Session March 13th, 2022
- May 1st, 2022 Session 4– Youth and Parents
- Click here to review our Fourth Learning Session May 1st, 2022
- June 19th*, Final gathering and trip prep (*ALL remaining travel paperwork due no later than 6/19/22)
Fundraising this year:
Youth planning to participate in the trip to West Virginia are required to complete a minimum of 15 fundraising hours. All youth are welcome and encouraged to participate in all fundraising events regardless of participation in the end of year journey.
Parents of Youth planning to participate in the trip to West Virginia are required to sign up to help with one fundraising event sometime this year (i.e bookfair organizers) (signing up to be a chaperone/driver for the day trip to HOME meets this requirement.)
Anticipated Fundraising events: Have an idea? You can start something new!!
- Families Tuugether -October 2 (raindate October 16), and monthly throughout the year dates TBD
- Halloween Social (bake sale and pumpkin carving)- October 31, 6-9pm
- Wreath sale November 21st, 8a-11am or 10a-1p (or 8a-1p!!)
- January Sunday volunteer hours- Youth can sign up to help with greeting on Sunday mornings in January
- Book Sale (dates tbd)
- Fair Trade Sale~ Sundays: November 28,
- Pancake Breakfast?? (tbd) April 10th
- Mother’s day plant sale May 8th (or week before?)
Questions? Email: firstname.lastname@example.org